With the health and wellness trends quickly becoming eminent in all our lives today, we have constantly been reminded of the importance of water. Everyone has been told once in their life to “Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day!”. But, why are we still constantly being reminded if we should already have this ingrained in our heads by now?
Shocking Fact: Just 5 years ago, Americans consumed close to 50 billion liters of soda a year, which is basically 216 liters (57 gallons) per person! (Source: NationMaster)
Thankfully, in a study conducted less than a year ago, soda consumption has fallen drastically and the consumption of water is at the top again, and now 63% of Americans actively avoid soda . That’s great news health-wise! However, many people have resorted to other liquids such as energy drinks, juices, and unnatural flavorings. That might be a step up from soda, but it really doesn’t help control our sugar consumption daily.
Water is essential to our bodies to help metabolism, remove toxins, cooling, pH regulation, transporting substances, and a whole lot more. So how can we get into this habit of drinking more water everyday? Here are a few tips:
- Drink a little water after you wake up, before you brush your teeth
- Add your own natural flavor to your water – sliced fruit/vegetables/herbs
- Set a daily goal
- Track how much water you drink – by using an app or log book
- Get a bottle that you’ll actually want to use and carry around
- Drink a glass of water before every meal
- Consume more water-based foods – such as watermelon, cantaloupe, etc
- Add a little spice to your food
- Drink less caffeine – Caffeine dehydrates you